Friday, February 29, 2008

BIG WEEKEND... Jen is home and Ham radio contest


I haven't had a chance to update my blog this week. Last weekend was busy, Saturday night was fun hanging out with everyone for Jens birthday at The Iguana Grill, even though we did not all get to sit together or at the same time.Thanks for everyones patience and understanding. I know Jen has allot of people who love her and wanted to be a part of the celebration, but I think we were both suprised at how many came out.Thanks a ton ,we really look at all you guys as family and it meant allot to us both.We love you guys.

Saturday was really fun for me as well.Before going to Jens birthday gathering, I went to Dalton Georgia with my uncle and fellow ham radio operator, Kevin, to go to the Dalton Ham Fest.I always love going to these things, you see so much radio equipment and a ton of strange people.I know it seems weird to those of you who do not know about this strange hobby I have, especially since I have never really shared this side of myself with the majority of you who read my blog.The best part about going to the Dalton Ham Fest is getting to go to Sticky Fingers BBQ in Chattanooga. This is by far the best BBQ joint around and I really wish they would bring one to B'ham.

Anyway the rest of the week was BLAH! Sunday we skipped church since Jen had a ton of things to do before she left for Louisiana so we were busy getting laundry done and the girls things ready for the following week.Tuesday was about the only day that I really had a great day. It started in the morning after I dropped the girls off at school, I was driving to work and I turned on my ham radio and started scanning the dial, I head a distant station calling CQ (CQ means "is any station listening" This is waht you say when you are trying to make contact with another ham radio operator)the signal was weak for a minute and then came booming in really loud, the stations call was UA3BS, I am not really familiar with all the prefixes for other stations out side the US. I knew as soon as I heard it it was an international call sign.Anyway we made contact with one another and swapped greatings and locations, thats when I found out he was in Russia.I was like WOW!!!, this is huge. I have spoken to European countries before on my radio at the house, but it was really cool to do it while I was driving to work in my truck.Anyway we spoke a few munutes and then the static covered his signal up so I begin to scan around some more when I heard another station calling CQ, it was a guy from Italy who had a really strong signal and we talked all the way until I got to work.So the rest of the day for me was awesome, just because of the excitment of making those two contacts going to work.I know I am weird,but I love this stuff.Later that night after I got home from work I turned my radio on and begin to make a bunch of contacts all over the mid-west and even a few into California. The girls were at Jens moms house, so I could concentrate on radio time.

The rest of the week was so so, each day me and the girls, including Pam Pam, was missing Jen more and more.

Well today is Friday and Jen is on her way home.And I am very excited.This weekend will be another busy one, we have Shocker practice tomorrow and all weekend there is a International DX contest( another ham radio event.DX is short for long distance communications,don't ask me why it just what the decided on 100's of years ago) During a 48 hour period starting tonight at 6 PM, a ton of amateur radio operators will see how many international contacts they can make. I will not really be participating in the contest since we will so busy, but I do plan on getting on the radio and making a few contacts.And Jen will be home so the girls and my self will be busy making up for the lack of mamah or mahma time.



Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

zaner said...

Jenny's party was fun. I don't think anyone minded the wait. It was good to get everybody together.

Jenny said...

I had the best birthday ever! I'm so so grateful to have such wonderful friends that I love dearly. I know I don't say it near enough but God has blessed me with amazing friends and I love all of you! I love get togethers!